It’s easy to forget that gum care is just as important as tooth care when it comes to your oral hygiene. While you may be brushing your teeth twice a day, how much attention are you giving to your gums?
September is National Gum Care Month and your team at Heroes Dental would like to offer you some valuable information and great tips for taking care of your gums. Always remember that is important to keep them healthy, as a lack of gum care can lead to gum disease which, in turn, can lead to more serious oral health care issues.
Signs of Gum Care Issues
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 47% of adults aged 30 years and older will suffer from some form of periodontal disease. Even worse, nearly 70% of adults 65 years and older suffer from periodontal disease.
Periodontitis is a serious gum infection that can damage your gums and essentially destroy your jawbone if it is not properly treated in time. While this disease is fairly common, it is preventable with strong oral hygiene care.
If you have been worrying about the state of your gums and are unsure if you are potentially suffering from some oral health issue, there are a number of signs that may indicate gum disease. Some of the major red flags to be on the lookout for include:
- Bright, red, and swollen gums
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Halitosis (bad breath)
- Bleeding caused by flossing or brushing
- Receding gum line
- White spots or plaque on the gums
- Pus in between the teeth or in the gums
- A change in the way your teeth fit in your mouth
The Benefits of Healthy Gums
Making sure your gums and teeth are healthy is not only important for your oral health but for your overall health as well. As per Harvard Health Publications, individuals suffering from periodontal disease have been found to be at a greater risk for developing other serious diseases such as diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, dementia, or suffering from pregnancy complications. While the exact correlation between gum disease and these other health issues is not fully understood, it’s better to take precaution and treat your gums right.
Aside from potentially helping to prevent these serious issues, health gums also help to protect the bones of your teeth by acting as a tight sealant which keeps bacteria from spreading. Other benefits of healthy gums include:
- Improved breath
- Lowered risk of oral inflammation and infections
- Reduced chances of gingivitis
Maintaining Healthy Gums
Your family dentists at Heroes Dental are eager to share with you some simple but extremely helpful tips that can go a long way in helping to prevent gum disease and other oral health issues. Follow this guideline and you’ll be smiling brighter than the Texas sun:
- Brushing Your Gums – Your teeth aren’t the only ones that need the attention. Your gums do too! Make sure to brush them softly in tiny circular motions with a soft bristled brush. And remember to brush your teeth after eating.
- Flossing – Flossing daily helps to remove particles of food that may have gotten between your teeth and which your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Regular Dentist Visits – You should definitely be visiting us at Heroes Dental at least twice a year (every six months). This way, your dentist can stop the possibility of gum disease in its tracks.
- Diet – Fruits, vegetables, vegetable oils, nuts, and omega-3 fatty acids from fish offer plenty of vitamins and minerals that are excellent for your teeth and gums. Also, cut back on sugar to significantly improve your gum health.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Water can help flush away some of the bacteria on your teeth and mouth that can cause oral health complications.
- Avoid Tobacco – Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco. These habits can utterly ruin your teeth and gums.