February is National Children’s Dental Health Month! This month is dedicated to promoting good oral hygiene habits for kids! This involves brushing, flossing, and other preventative actions to protect against tooth decay, which is the most chronic health condition for children in the United States according to the American Dental Association.
The theme for February 2022 focuses on great ways to help parents protect their children’s teeth and keep them smiling!
What Is National Children’s Dental Health Month?
National Children’s Dental Health Month is sponsored by the American Dental Association to promote oral hygiene practices and recognize the significance of oral health. The month-long observance has been occurring every year since 1981.
Initially, it was a one-day observance that began in 1941 and later became a week-long observance until it eventually took over the whole month of February.
The goal for this month is to develop solid oral health habits for your children and schedule regular visits to your McAllen pediatric dentist. This will help save your little one’s teeth from decaying and prevent oral health diseases from arising in their adulthood.
How Can Parents Help Children Develop Good Oral Hygiene?
Getting your kids into a good oral care routine will benefit them now and for years to come. Oral health is connected to your kids’ self-esteem, learning, and general health. Studies have shown most kids who don’t have good oral care habits will have tooth decay by the time they’re 10 years old.
Some parents may not know how simple a good routine for their children can be. It doesn’t involve any fancy equipment or difficult methods, but it will help prevent your children from getting cavities and tooth decay.
The following are great oral care habits to implement in your child’s daily routine:
• Brush teeth twice a day for 2 minutes each time
• Use fluoride toothpaste
• Floss in between every tooth every day
• Give your children healthier snacks instead of sugary foods and drinks
• Visit your McAllen pediatric dentists regularly
You might want to watch over your kids to make sure they are following these tips correctly. You should also demonstrate good behaviors so that your children will follow your lead. And don’t forget to help your little ones learn how to brush and floss properly.
How Do We Celebrate National Children’s Dental Month?
Take advantage of this month and talk to your children about the importance of having a healthy mouth. Teach your kids how sugary treats and other foods affect their teeth, and why they should limit their consumption of sweets.
We encourage you and your kids to participate in any community activities occurring for National Children’s Dental Health Month. If you prefer to stay home, here are a few things you can do to celebrate with your children:
• The American Dental Association website has a variety of printouts with activities and coloring pages you can do in the comfort of your own home.
• Donate oral health products such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and floss to the families who are struggling and the less fortunate.
• Let your children pick out their toothbrushes this month. It sounds simple, but letting them choose their favorite color or design can make a difference in their willingness to brush their teeth.
• Check out children’s books about oral health from your local library.
McAllen Pediatric Dentists Encourage You and Your Kids to Celebrate National Children’s Dental Health Month
This month is dedicated to preventing cavities and tooth decay, and bringing awareness to the importance of good oral health care habits for children. With tooth decay being a prevalent problem with children, it is important to talk to them about having healthy teeth and following a good oral hygiene routine.