Our McAllen family dentists at Heroes Dental want to inform you that September is Fruit and Veggies- More Matters Month. Fueling your body with meals that have a wide variety of fruits and vegetables can improve not only your health but your smile too.
Eating a well-balanced diet that incorporates healthy foods can reduce the risks of weight-related diseases such as obesity and high cholesterol. It can also help you maintain a healthier smile and stronger teeth. Of course, we know there’s plenty of opportunities to enjoy a nice treat every now and then. But just remember, balance is key!
Join your Heroes Dental team in celebrating this wonderful September holiday by learning about the value of fruits and veggies in your diet.
Protect Your Smile, Add Color to Your Plate
There are so many benefits to your health and smile that come with eating more fruits and vegetables including:
- Fruits and veggies are low in calories but high in fiber, which will leave you feeling fuller for a longer period of time. This means less time spent eating snacks and sweets that have no health value and which can cause oral health issues.
- The hydrating properties of these foods and the nutrients they store will leave your skin brighter than when eating mostly processed foods. Plus, they increase the production of saliva in your mouth which helps to keep them clean by washing away food residue, sugars, and bacteria on your teeth.
- Your mood will improve because a balanced diet regulates hormones more efficiently. You will also have added confidence from feeling healthy and having a vibrant smile.
- Fruits and vegetables are natural abrasives, which means the crunch in each bite scrubs food particles and even bacteria off the surface of your teeth.
- They also increase saliva production which breaks down sugars and neutralizes the acidity of foods that may weaken enamel and cause tooth decay.
- The fiber, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals in these crisp foods help digestion and dental health.
Not only does your diet affect your weight and health conditions, it may also be impacting the condition of your gums and sensitivity of your teeth. Eating the wrong foods can you put your teeth at risk for discoloration, sensitivity, and gum disease.
The Best Fruits and Veggies for Your Smile.
Here is a list of fruits and vegetables you can snack on or make a meal out of by combining them with other healthy foods:
Fruits to keep your smile gorgeous:
- Apples – As a natural abrasive, apples are great for cleaning gums and teeth between brushings.
- Pears – This scrumptious treat helps to neutralize acidic foods, and because it’s naturally abrasive, it helps to keep your teeth polished.
- Kiwis – Packed with fantastic vitamin C, this fruit is great for maintaining your oral health.
- Cranberries – The polyphenols – or micronutrients – in this tasty fruit can help to reduce plaque buildup.
- Strawberries – Full of amazing vitamin C, malic acid, and antioxidants, this is the perfect fruit to keep your teeth strong and beautiful.
Vegetables that are sure to make you smile:
- Celery – This water dense veggie is chock-full of vitamins A and C, plus are great at naturally scrubbing away food particles.
- Leafy Greens – Leafy greens are in a world of their own when it comes to the benefit they provide your teeth. With plenty of essential vitamins and minerals like calcium, these veggies are great for protecting you against gum disease.
- Mushrooms – Certain mushrooms can help to remineralize your teeth and neutralize acidic foods.
- Carrots – Scrape away plaque, boost saliva production, and strengthen your teeth with these orange treats.
- Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes have plenty of vitamin C needed to keep your gums healthy.
In addition to a healthy diet, your family dentists at Heroes Dental encourage you to always practice good oral hygiene by:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day and between meals when possible with a soft bristle brush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily and use mouthwash to remove food particles and plaque caused by bacteria build up.
- Drink plenty of water to cleanse teeth.
- Avoid sugary beverages, sticky candies, and tobacco products.
- Visit Heroes Dental for regular checkups.
Celebrate National Fruits and Veggies – More Matters Month with Heroes Dental! And don’t forget to schedule an appointment.
We hope you’ll take advantage of nature’s gifts this month. Not only do fresh fruits and vegetables help to give you a healthier smile, they can also reduce your risk of cancer, diabetes, and many other diseases.
Alongside a healthy diet, it’s also important to routinely visit your dentists. Contact any of our south Texas offices today and we’ll book you at your earliest convenience.