Scheduling a dental hygiene visit can be a little nerve-racking, but with the right family dentist, getting a checkup is a breeze.
Let our founding cape crusader, Dr. Sergio Guzman, help explain why Heroes Dental is your best choice when scheduling a dental hygiene visit. And while we’re on the subject, we’ll talk about the benefits of frequent dental hygiene visits and what procedures we use to treat all of our special patients.
The Benefits of Dental Hygiene Visits
Did you know that it is recommended that you visit your dentist for routine dental cleanings at least four times a year?
“Although most insurances only cover two cleanings per year, it is beneficial to get up to four professional dental cleanings a year to keep your teeth clean and healthy,” says Dr. Guzman.
But those aren’t the only reasons why you should schedule a visit. There are a number of other health benefits that you’ll experience from dental hygiene visits, including:
- Teeth stain removal
- Gum disease and tooth loss prevention
- Oral cancer screenings
- Improved cardiovascular health by eliminating gum diseases that can contribute to heart attacks and strokes
- Broken filling and fracture detection
But the biggest way you and your children benefit is that these dental hygiene visits prevent costly dental procedures that may occur down the road if regular oral health maintenance isn’t practiced.
Dr. Guzman notes, “The number one way to prevent costly dental procedures is prevention.”
What Heroes Dental Does
Our dental hygiene methods are effective, painless, and conducted by expert hands. Every visit is broken down into two portions that ensure you and your children feel as comfortable as possible.
- Oral Examination
An oral examination is completed every time a patient — either new or existing — visits one of our dental offices. With new patients, X-rays are taken to look for any dental red flags like bone loss due to gum diseases or early symptoms of oral cancer.
“This will allow our dentists to detect early signs of dental disease, which will help prevent costly procedures in the future,” says Dr. Guzman.
For children that visit our dental office for cleanings, our pediatric dentists will conduct an oral examination, scanning for any abnormalities, as well as:
- Your child’s overall oral health and hygiene.
- Check risks of tooth decay, tooth loss, root decay, and gum or bone disease.
- Provide services to have your child’s teeth restored.
- Check the patient’s jaw for any kind of bite problems.
- Remove stains.
- Demonstrate proper dental cleaning technique.
- Provide fluoride treatment.
- Take X-rays if necessary.
After an oral examination, your skilled dentist or dental hygienist at Heroes Dental will then proceed to clean those pearly whites to give the patient the best smile possible.
- Professional Cleaning
In most cases, patients can expect the following from their dental cleaning:
- The Removal of Plaque and Tartar – This painless process aims to remove plaque and tartar from along the patient’s gum line and from between their teeth. If this part of the process scares you, then make sure to brush and floss every day so that the procedure isn’t as intensive.
- Brushing Teeth With Gritty Toothpaste – Once the tartar is gone, our dental hygienist will use a high-powered electric brush with gritty toothpaste to brush your teeth for a deep cleaning. The toothpaste has a gritty texture to safely scrub your teeth free of stains and other imperfections.
- An Expert Flossing Session – Even if you floss at home, having a professional floss your teeth helps to get into those nooks and crannies where plaque is hiding.
- Thorough Rinsing – This part of the procedure is rather simple. Our oral hygienist will give your mouth a rinse with liquid fluoride to remove any remaining debris. Fluoride is a safe mineral that occurs naturally in water and certain foods.
You’ll be relieved to know that this simple and painless procedure will make your teeth shine brilliantly and your mouth healthier than ever before.
It’s About That Time to Schedule Your Dental Hygiene Visit!
At Heroes Dental, we’ve spent years perfecting our dental procedures to be as safe and pain-free as possible. With frequent visits to our South Texas dental offices, teeth cleanings don’t have to be such a scary circumstance for you or your little hero anymore.
Contact us at any of our locations in the Rio Grande Valley or Laredo to schedule your next dental hygiene appointment.