Many of us look at the new year ahead and think about what we can do in order to better our lives. For some, it’s a change of diet and for others, it can be something a bit more personal. While we look to change for the better, let us not overlook how important it is to keep up with our oral hygiene.
Oral hygiene is extremely important to keep up with as poor tooth care can have a devastating effect on your overall health (and can even lead to premature tooth loss). While there are ways to replace teeth, it is always in your best interest to avoid that pain and cost, and simply take care of your oral health for as long as you can.
What should one do to help maintain those pearly whites? Glad you asked! We here at Heroes Dental want to help you have the healthiest smile you can. Let’s bring in 2018 with a new attitude about our oral hygiene. A healthy mouth is a HAPPY mouth.
7 Tips For A Healthier Smile in 2018
- Start with the basics of brushing and flossing. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day can help you avoid painful cavities, excessive plaque buildup, and other oral illness. Flossing helps with removing plaque in those hard to reach places. If you can’t do it after each meal, once before bedtime is fine.
- Watch what you eat. You might not realize it but eating the right foods can brighten your smile and keep your mouth healthy and clean. Grains, nuts, dairy, fruits, and vegetables all help to provide the nutrients needed for a healthy smile. Also, research shows that foods with plenty of Omega-3 fats reduce inflammation, which can lower the risk of gum disease! Remember to keep away from sugars such as sweets, sodas, and candies.
- Fluoride helps strengthen enamel. Fluoride is one of the most important elements to protecting you and your families teeth from tooth decay and cavities. It’s quite powerful stuff even in small doses, so you don’t want to use it too much as it can cause white spots on your teeth. Talk with your dentist about the right amount for you and your family. Most are likely to suggest a toothpaste that contains fluoride, as these are approved by the FDA. In young children, it should be used minimally, no more than a pea-sized amount on their toothbrushes.
- Don’t forget about protecting your mouth. When it comes to sports and other physical activities, the last thing you want to worry about is chipping a tooth or completely losing one. That’s why having the right mouthguard is so important. Ask your dentist what the best options are for protecting your smile or that of your children’s. #HeroesDentalTip: #KeepYourSmile shining in 2018 and get a mouthguard for those sports activities Click To Tweet
- Keep your tongue clean! Brushing your tongue on a daily basis can help boost your oral hygiene. You can do so by flipping your toothbrush and using the small ridges to remove bacteria from your mouth. There are also tongue scrapers that you can find at most pharmacies such as Walgreens or CVS; these are very helpful. Having a clean tongue can also help you to avoid bad breath. Always remember to keep all of your mouth clean.
- AVOID Sweets! Yes, it is the holidays and we are likely to find ourselves surrounded by delicious cookies, pies, sweets, candy canes, and other scrumptious desserts! But keep them to a minimum and brush your teeth after each treat. As long as you are moderating your consumption of sweets and brushing your teeth, you should be just fine. Still, don’t overdo it if you don’t want to go into the new year with cavities. In addition to sweets, also limit your intake of coffee, tea, and soda. Many of these drinks will stain your teeth.
- Make an appointment to see your dentist at least twice a year. Visits to your dentist are a vital part of keeping your mouth healthy. At Heroes Dental, we are ready to serve your entire family and keep your smiles shining brightly into 2018.
Also, don’t forget, toothbrushes should be changed at least 4 times a year as their bristles lose strength and become less effective at cleaning teeth.
This very simple but powerful steps of brush and flossing can help to prevent a ton of oral health issues and should be taken seriously. Your mouth will thank you (and so will your wallet).Click to Tweet: Change your toothbrush at least 4 times a year for a healthier smile #oralhygiene #smiles #2018 #tips Click To Tweet
Heroes Dental is a family friendly practice! We are happy to guide you in the right direction to keep your teeth healthy and your smile shining.
From general dentistry services to orthodontics, pediatric care, cosmetic dentistry, and more, Heroes Dental is here for everyone in your family. Plus, we have multiple locations all throughout South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley to make it as convenient as possible for you to get your needs met.
Contact us at one of our many locations nearest you.
Our Heroes Dental family would also like to wish your family a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!