September is National Gum Care Month and the perfect reminder of why we need to take care of our oral health. Unfortunately, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently found that half of all Americans aged 30 years or older suffer from periodontal disease – a condition that can affect gums and other parts of your mouth.
Thankfully, here at Heroes Dental, we have the tools you need to keep your gums (and teeth) healthy and beautiful.
Join Heroes Dental in celebrating National Gum Care Month this September. Keep on reading to learn more about the importance of taking care of your gums.
The Importance of Healthy Gums
Gums are very important to your oral health. Not only do they help to protect your teeth from dangerous bacteria, but they also provide support to the bones in your mouth.
Healthy (and unhealthy) gums can also have a direct effect on your overall health. Healthy gums help to reduce your chances of developing other serious health complications such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease, dementia, and even pregnancy complications.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is caused by harmful oral bacteria which piles up on your teeth, above and below the gum line. There are two different types of gum disease: gingivitis and periodontitis.
If an individual fails to properly take care of their gums and allows gum disease to go untreated, then the results can be devastating for your oral health. Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease which can cause gum pain and bleeding. If not treated, gingivitis can advance to periodontitis, which is much more dangerous.
Some symptoms of gingivitis include:
- – Gums appear red or swollen in certain spots.
- – Gums might feel tender when you brush them.
- – Gums will bleed easily.
- – Gums are pulling away from your teeth.
Some symptoms of periodontitis include:
- – Gums will bleed.
- – Mouth sores may begin to develop.
- – Pus in between the teeth or gums.
- – A sour taste in your mouth.
- – Teeth may begin to fall out.
If you notice any of these symptoms, head to your Edinburg dentists at Heroes Dental to get help immediately.
How You Can Prevent Gum Disease
While brushing and flossing regularly are key to keeping your gums strong and healthy, there are some additional steps to really protect your gums, including:
- – Use a soft toothbrush – Be gentle when brushing your teeth. You don’t want to be rough as this will only cause your gums to bleed more
- – Maintain a healthy diet – Fruits, vegetables, vegetable oils, nuts, and omega-3 fatty acids from fish offer plenty of vitamins and minerals that are excellent for your teeth and gums. Also, cut back on sugar to significantly improve your gum health.
- – Use mouthwash – Once you’ve brushed your teeth and flossed, add another level of protection with mouthwash.
- – Avoid tobacco – Tobacco isn’t good for the body or your mouth. Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco as they can ruin your teeth and gums.
Gum disease can be very difficult to deal with and expensive, so it’s important to take care of any issues before they become a major problem.